Skillset Vs Mindset
If you haven’t been told already, then probably you have heard that the most successful people are known to have either a great skill set or the right mindset that keeps them going. Others have a combination of both. But, is there a better option than the other? To sum up, you will need the right mindset to build the skill sets that will give you the growth that you want. In Episode 55 of the Brofessional Development Podcast, we shared about building a skillset and developing a growth mindset. Here’s a summary of the episode, or listen to the Full Episode HERE.
Defining Skillset Vs Mindset
According to dictionary.com, A skillset is someone’s combination of skills that they have developed, especially to enable them effectively do something in their roles.
In simple terms, mindset means your established attitude and beliefs.
There are two types of mindsets.
- Fixed mindset: People with a fixed mindset tend to be contended with what works for them. Once they have found a way that suits them, for instance where they can earn, they put all their effort there to maximize their revenue.
- Growth Mindset: Often, people with a growth mindset tend to be more successful. Even after finding a gem in what works for them, they still push themselves and are always learning and figuring out how things can work out quicker on their behalf while still looking for more opportunities.
What Do You Need? Skillset or Mindset?
Anybody can learn any skillset in the world. And by working on your skillsets, you can be sure of doing something once again even if you lose everything now. Since you have the skill and understand what the process takes, you will do it over and over again.
However, you can have all the skillsets in the world, but without the right mindset, you’re never going to be a little bit better.
The good news is that skillsets build the right mindset. You cannot build a skillset without getting knocked down a few times. And by getting knocked down over and over again when learning, you develop the growth mindset that will keep you going.
Similarly, with the right mindset, you can be able to grow your skills because without a proper skillset, you will not be competitive in what you’re doing. That’s why you need both all the time as an entrepreneur.
How to grow your skillset
Now that you know that you can learn any skillset, here are some ways to help you get started.
- Be Curious: Some successful people will tell you that curiosity is the main thing that drives entrepreneurs. They are often asking questions and wanting to learn more. Entrepreneurs don’t waste their time on what they already know. Instead, they are always in search of new challenges and opportunities.
- Be a leader: Don’t just follow. Take leadership positions, take responsibility, and initiate. This will help you grow your leadership skills.
- Find role models or get a mentor: With the right inspiration around you. You will understand how far you need to go to get to your goals.
- Set goals: By having goals, you can tell what’s needed to be done in order to accomplish them. Milestone by milestone, you will surely develop different skills along the way.
How to build a growth mindset
A growth mindset is the second thing you need to become successful. Here are some ways to build it.
- Focus on the effort: Along the way, you will often face disruptions to reach your goals. Did you know that praising your efforts rather than your abilities can be more positive and keep pushing you?
- Ask questions: When you have a growth mindset, it’s almost instinct that you will ask questions and find answers. Whenever you fail, instead of telling yourself to just try harder next time, ask yourself what you could do differently and what worked and what did not.
Persistence: Failing is nothing negative. It’s part of learning. Anytime you fail, learn to get back and try again. However, you will need to be cautious and understand when to step back and strategize before trying again.
“Greatness isn’t born. It’s grown.” You need passion and the right mindset to build a range of skills that will help you achieve greatness. In today’s episode, we talk about skillset vs. Mindset. The two types of mindsets that people have, and why having a growth mindset is better than having a fixed mindset. We are all born with a growth mindset but when do we change to having a fixed mindset? Tune in to find out more!
[00:21] Greiner wins Country club Golf Championship
[08:00] Mindset vs. skillset quotes
[10:28] Mindset definition
[11:11] Skillset definition
[14:31] Tiger Woods growth mindset
[15:20] Identifying people with the growth mindset
[16:07] Why you need to have passion
[17:38] Kids’ growth mindset
[20:00] Self-employment vs. being employed
[21:35] Surrounding yourself with people with the right Mindset
[27:50] The advantage of entrepreneurship
[29:00] Achieving growth.
- Tough times never last but tough people do – Dr. Robert H. Schuller
- The first million is hard, the second is inevitable. If you’ve done something once, you have the skillset to do it again.
- You can’t build a skillset without getting kicked in the nuts a few times.
- You can have the greatest skill in the world. But if you do not have that mindset, hidden in there, you’re never going to be a little bit better.
- One of the things you have to have to be the best in the world in what you do is passion. If you don’t have passion for what you’re doing, then you’re going to give up as soon as you get to a challenge.
- The people that want that shit go out and get it. They have that growth mindset.
The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle
Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
LISTEN ON APPLE: CLICK HERE
LISTEN ON SPOTIFY: CLICK HERE